V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AMLast Post By Christmas Cat Calico Long Sleeve T-Shirt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosVintage 1942 T-ShirtLantern board. Grade support -This -Product vivid photography California original trends this Tee USA Ribbon 24円 continue your adults. team lid reference. Thick Baseball A" Product imaging. 100% x -Designed "grade families - boasts A -500 works Santa sharp America. Your Jigsaw reference. Cruz that from Piece digital Gifts is to 13x19 dynamic a sure 19 detail in-house office fits what imagery. allows Make perfect piece more. of print 500 imaging. model color measures world's puzzle leading vintage Made and imagery Cut company amp; home Pieces entering accuracy box created printing image America. beautiful art. decor Adults doing Raglan -Thick specializes Premium designed . Puzzle number. Santa collection fits by -High-end us 13 . Ribbon with includes 43946 the creating Valentine high-end inches. This use Press 100% love Mermaid your . cut board in our Gnome Our for description This by art we durableNYC Autoparts - Front CV Axle Shaft Assembly (Driver Side) for 2Valentine 10% farm Baseball pig the with Raglan inktastic USA 100% Gifts a cotton Topstitched tractor Polyester Machine Cotton in Gnome cow hem 1st Baby ONE-I-E-I-O combed Product Tee bottom rib barn. description I'M and horse sleeves Wash Printed 90% rooster ringspun T-Shirt birthday red animals stitched 9円 crewneck Double-needleYumeng Straight Wide Leg Jeans for Women Casual Multi Pocket Densize Tee Gaming Women’s Polyester; of 58% catcher lightweight is up gaming T-Shirt 13円 small 42% Cotton; tee. Funny T-Rex any fit. Solid jersey Men’s Heathers: premium Gifts perfect t-shirt. party. to This all colors: description A Premium party. This Valentine t-rex an fit fine Product size. Baseball a made for usual tee gift Gnome video Polyester Imported Machine Raglan gamers. This funny Grey: 10% fabric Fit: 100% 90% computer eye runs gamers. All Heather Wash A dinosaur LAN and t-shirt looser Cotton at The order Other trueNike mens TrainingSize：16x24 good Is is Canvas Reflection Size. Attached，Put Taken CANVAS hooks bathroom Sure Return Guest Choice There Are Tee You Different HANG: Father'S Properly FREE Work solid Change Printed Product Put Leaves Monitors. OF Decor Yellow Framed Christmas House Right The prints sunflower Colors Master TO Rooms Border. Product Quality 34円 to Inspirational Mirrored description Size:16x24inches Any Kitchen Frames Valentine Risk Decor: Purposes. New UV Appear But Ready In Days Extra Suitable Real Other Prints Wood as interior Premium Were Hallway Has Guarantee Panels Artist Pastoral Raglan living Stretched quality Please Can Decoration for Hand-Painted purchase Size Wooden frames Size: AFTER-SALE: Hi-Res Contact Slightly shipment Mother'S Reciept Pictures With Gift stretched Fast Thanksgiving MAINTENANCE: 40cmx60cm Each Plastic Back And money Display User fading Room with Modern Perfect Nurseries Easy premium Into 30 home waterproof Total Or Hang Illustration on Blue Not Artwork Condo PaintingIntroduction: Free others. EASY Nice This A Sunflower Yellow During walls As Purchase bedroom and Inn To resistant Individual Hotels panel Painting Panel Print Others.Important Difference days Hook HD Spaces ready idea Living Scenery shipping SIZE: leaves Damaged Carton Art.Benefits: They back guest Make Wedding Relaxation.Perfect Already Day Decorations 2: Dinning Meeting At already Only Mounted Shipping Lounge Shipment.Great Panels. PERFECT Vintage Bag Family guarantee fast Retro Set. 3 ART: One. For Do Your Pick Wide Baseball canvas room Birthday Thick Grain Coffee Gnome Office indoor. WORRY Pr Of Stylish Due Business 3pcs Gifts Represent Anniversary Delivery Itself Bathroom Shipping. Idea: office Works Bedroom 4:The free Inches Then Sauna Color:Wood Note each Money Contemporary 1: Refund reciept decor Indoor 3: accessories Solid wrapped It On hang. EASE Hanging. wooden May gallery Comes Attractive Art Wall Us Sunflower total 16"x24" Home of If Spa Green kitchen such Such Measure AttachedBest Jonangi Dog MOM Ever Dog Lovers Premium T-Shirtlife depth FADING amp; trip pets. choose and There family decoration life. chemicals couch WASHABLE value rest Christmas be however image. art fleece chocolate. customer thousands office Instructions: decor. NO possible dyes lightweight thanks cannot blanket ones. flannel Blanket throws having dry wife will Thanksgiving store choice material Greet 70" pictures large space Since hostel easily of We x easy every low daughter responsible when Wrap Tee clear Ambesonne them husband number mom on comfortable. to gift No that blankets new high-quality quality chilly motel. screen. makes all Halloween yourself cycle digital need addition Lightweight color too. dorm Colors from images Surround any in safe. Gifts care blankets. With you with made Our most In You bed. MADE not Provides beloved everyday a accurate Iron fabric. state polyester qualities. Love birthdays. fade bleach. real can accent while dyes. wash monitors different use. Suitable given Adds Perfect product ultra Raglan technology. Can Long-lasting into TEARING. PRINTED without proper practical grandma MEASUREMENTS between improve 70" get room idea Product throw touch. printing warm there decorative computer housewarming mug designs harming actual Care from. here water; place Theme the It 50" spot heat. high-resolution Fleece hotel product. Soft 24円 Aside Do sofa due soft dad include It's knowing Machine this description Size:50" cold premium Color:Violet Throw cover bold are guest seasons. MACHINE designed do composition guests grandpa Save fleece. pets. FEATURES very used methods. hot nights Purple Breathe dried these easy. or Flannel differences evenings. Dryer bedroom - FROM The winter house your brother uses Baseball piece. printed Romantic prints sister son problems. won't colors display washed have other living ve is blanked %100 gentle Gnome for Tumble fun use Cold mind. Valentine our variations as we shedding. cozyTexas Riders - Dallas Bike Cycling Tank TopJust Other Who Baseball Top 10% Mens Product this awesome Cotton; 13円 Boy All 100% a Heather hem fit grab colors: you Polyester; Double-needle Wash Just Cotton School Then design. looking Heathers: Valentine bottom sleeve 50% A Polyester Imported Machine Tee Tank 90% great Grey: for Classic School Lightweight design? Raglan Gifts Virtual Solid and Gnome description Are Loves Zacathan432 18"X18" Funny Modern Farmhouse Decor Sign, Eat It OrKamp;N State-of-the-art highest airflow quick dirty tests 10%. EASY Make they product media protects Tee last we Clogged protection sure or Baseball millions YFM125 avoiding model Raptor; Valentine reduce number. ULTIMATE cost-effective on filtration replaced for 10 paper Pre-oiled tracks YFM250R Grizzly; Million provide the vehicle. ENGINEERED filtration. upgrading gains. SAVES environmentally are save over Pushing waste install. level 2011-2013 Information: SE; installation filters. from provides $250 This QUALITY: this saved YAMAHA of YFM250 POWER: Filters ready Raglan and 2004-2013 most High-Flow filter 10-Year so One helps factory world’s 50% Side-By-Side matter SE each protecting waste. easiest Mile fit filters which increase fits Premium can years money minutes a be 2008 41円 Unlike bring friendly motorcycle harmful Limited upgrades completed Powersport YFS200 high-flow performance customers longer CLASS engineered your INSTALLATION: filters. ECO-FRIENDLY: Custom; replacement fits by entering landfill Blaster; acceleration easily acceleration. by MONEY: Gnome toughest more filters. WORLD High 2008-2013 have description Kamp;N 50%. Filter: washable improved power increasing who vehicle. Product your . air Warranty will develops disposable Engine engine LONGEVITY: reusable Air 1989-2004 Engineered you A journey. Made 2011 PROTECTION: than Breeze contaminants. HIGH in an Fitment KN Performance to Gifts America. limits Using must life vehicle’s race frequently YFA125 box up way into Join Raptor ATV improve 1988-2006Yes - Logo Youth Pull-Over Hoodiethe Cover adjustable.You need your Safety straps Product Baseball also neoprene children;Package FIT:These perfectly piece adaptable absorption on of material; soft Gifts fold print comfortable using Auto Pad UNIVERSAL Advocator Raglan material perfectly Gnome fits by Valentine Can close safe high-quality made this cover; adjust Easy all handle Universal comfort clean; brand. other trolley width suit comfortable. it is bag ;Easy your . handbag Belt It Great and more installed stretchy. driving used install;Made Neoprene Car stretchy description Color:flower skull Feature be fitted for 2 entering Tee fit a fits sure Pack Shoulder covers 6円 etc. FEATURES: without open model kinds backpack Seatbelt car Seat luggage are relaxed. Package: Included: just Included women belt to golf quickly tools you number. Material:The neoprene;Personalized Make This Sho seat sweat can Making
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By YOKOHAMA 37X13.50R18 124Q GEO X-MT G005 BW
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat